17 June 2010

2:3 "Living History Books"

I have considered those from previous generations, “living history books” for quite some time. In 1999, I interviewed a WWII Veteran, SSgt Holtzclaw in his home in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma for a short biography needed to award him the WWII Victory Medal, Air Medal and POW Medal for his actions as a crewmember aboard a B-17 (if I remember correctly). I couldn’t believe how vivid his memory was—recalling events and details like the exact time of his last flight, the weather, and of course his parachute landing after his plane was hit by flak. A “living history book” is what I called SSgt Holtzclaw, he laughed, and said “I have not thought about these things in years Chris, until I found out the US Air Force was going to give me some medals.”

I planned his ceremony—every minute of it. From he and his family’s arrival to the reception in the wing headquarters building. The weather that day was not well. It was a wintery day and personnel were being told to head home and/or not come to work. I called his home informing them of the weather and the status of the base, yet he and his family wanted to “press.” His health wasn’t the best and his wife and family wanted this for him. Later that day, he received his medals, with great pride and he walked up those stairs to get them. I don’t know if SSgt Holtzclaw is still alive, but I thought of him today when I came across a story of another Tuskegee Airman passing on 11 June.

Retired LtCol William H. Holloman, famous Tuskegee Pilot during WWII, the Korean War, Vietnam War, and the US Air Force’s first black helicopter pilot passed. Known for breaking the military’s color barrier during WWII, LtCol Holloman continued his military service as a Reservist with the Air Force and finally retiring with the US Army in 1972. Another living history book has passed. It is estimated that over 1000 WWII vets pass per day and with them, they take the memories, and all that generation offered to their country, and we now live in their legacy.

Some suggest that only 50-60 Tuskegee pilots and approximately 240+ ground personnel from the Tuskegee groups remain alive. Tuskegee Airmen during WWII suffered sixty-six killed in action and another 32 became prisoners of war. One of the most decorated units during WWII, the pilots were awarded 150 Distinguished Flying Crosses, 14 Bronze Stars, 8 Purple Hearts, 744 Air Medals, and 2 Presidential Unit Citations. The Airmen have an astounding 112 air-to-air victories and 150 planes destroyed on ground.

Many novels, biographies, videos, documentaries, and movies have been made about our Veterans in WWII. Yet, all of those resources will never replace the thoughts, memories and stories that Veterans keepin their hearts and minds. Take a moment to first thank he or she for their service, offer a coffee or a moment of your time. Listen to their story—it’ll beat any book you’ve ever read or any movie you’ve ever seen. Nothing beats a “living history book!”

1 comment:

  1. That is our new my partner and i go here. I ran across numerous interesting things inside your weblog, specifically its debate. From your a lot of remarks on your own content, I suppose I'm not the only person having every one of the leisure the following! Keep up the excellent operate.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing what you have to say!