16 January 2013

Myelodysplastic Syndromes (MDS): Our New Journey, Day One-Half, Part One of ?


I don't even want to begin to tell you what this military family has been through since September of 2011 and really for the majority of 2012--I'll save that for another blog in this series.

Just a short snippet of my current situation:  What began as some blood work during an emergency room visit in April 2012, to possible liver disease, then hemochromatosis, all stemmed from a rare blood disorder, Myelodysplastic Syndrome (MDS) recently brought to  headlines/media due to ABC's GMA Robin Roberts having MDS.  On 20 December 2012, just days before Christmas, we were informed of my diagnosis and the severity of such.  Quite frankly, it took my wife's and my breath away--absolutely upsetting to have your own mortality dated and somewhat 'suspensed.'  Between 20 December and today (04 Jan), much has occurred, including my first day/night of what is estimated to be 5 weeks to 3 months of hospitalization.  
If for any reason you believe through research/reading on MDS that this disease is not a cancer--I often asked why is it that treatment requires me to be in a Cancer Center, Oncology Doctors, Chemotherapy, Remission, and Transplant?  As one of my doctor's states, "plain and simple, no matter what the literature states, what you have my friend is cancer, it's treated as such!"  I'm all in when doctor's forgo all the mumbo jumbo, and speak in lay terms and don't beat around the bush. 
Day One-Half:

1.8 hour drive to Johns Hopkins met with quite a bit of traffic on the BWP, but if you drive the NOVA I-95 Corridor in and around the Outer Belt/Mixing Bowl, the BWP is just another drive!  Absolutely astonished me that the TV in my room stated it was $10 per day, maximum of 10 days for TV/Telephone--Unbelievable!  We paid the $100.

The current residents (patients) were scoping me out, peaking around the corners, yelling out "fresh meat!"  They don't know that I'm going to shave my head tonight and try to blend in tomorrow/double agent on them!  I'm thinking about ganking the PS3 from the media lounge--it's only for the residents and they all seem older than me, they don't play PS3!

I got a fancy new bracelet.  CT of my upper torso, check!  Initiation briefing, check!  Briefing on proper hygiene, check!  Issued paper breathing device and OJT!  15 different labs accomplished but for whatever reason, the veins didn't cooperate so they had to use an ultrasound guided needle.  The nurses and staff think I'm going to be a hoot.  They haven't found my contraband honey buns, yet.  
If you're interested in becoming a donor, please visit the National Marrow Donor Program!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing what you have to say!